Sunday, March 13, 2011

Season of Life and Love

"For every time there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to heal and a time to kill. A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to turn away.
A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace."
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8
On March 1, 2011, one of the most loving people I know passed away. I considered her my grandmother. I lived with her and Mr. Clete (her husband) the summer after my freshman year of college in 2006. Meet Mrs. Ruby:


Although we were not related by blood, Mrs. Ruby came to important days/events for both my brother and I throughout the past 19 years, even when she was not in the best health. This was last May at our graduation, and the next picture was taken after my Honor's Thesis Presentation that she attended.


I miss her greatly already, but I have peace knowing that she is no longer in pain and suffering.

Through everything, I am reminded that there is a season for everything. The words that stand out to me lately in this verse are heal, cry, laugh, grieve, dance, embrace, search, quiet, speak, and love. Lately, my life has consisted of all of those in the verb form.

I will heal from the wounds life has dealt me. I am reminded of the Point of Grace song "Heal the Wound", which states "Heal the wound but leave the scar, a reminder of how merciful you are".

I will cry and grieve, but I won't let my faith be shaken; instead, I will use those processes to strengthen my faith and draw closer to the one who gives me strength.

I will laugh and find joy in daily life, for my joy rests not in the world but in "He who took the nails for me".

Embracing life and those in my life has not always been easy. Finding comfort and seeking love and understanding from those around me is becoming easier; part of that is putting away my pride and becoming humble.

I find myself searching a lot lately: for a church, for friends, for my purpose in life....the list could go on. The more I search, the more I find out more about myself.

I love that quiet comes before speak. As I get older, I realize how much words really do impact the world and others in our lives. I am reminded to think and be quiet before I speak. I do not consider myself profound or wise, but I pray the more I consider my words before I speak, the more they may be heard and used for love.

Love. Love in many forms exists and I am reminded that lately. I pray I can portray love to other even a small percentage of how much He loves me.

No comments: