Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I have been thinking a lot about Mary lately. Maybe it is the fact that school is out and I actually have time to think about many things other than school. But I think it is more than that. As I get older, the more I yearn to be able to get married and start a family. The more I see others around me start families. I see more young girls become pregnant and struggle with decisions regarding the child. I see the heart of Mary.



The "Social Network Christmas" video also got me thinking. If you haven't seen it, look it up on YouTube. It is really awesome. It portrays the story of the birth of Jesus in how it may have been told through modern media, specifically Facebook. The scrutiny of Mary and Joseph that occurred was horrendous; the unfriending insane. They went through all of that to give us a Savior.



I am in no way comparing myself to Mary. But, as this Christmas has many firsts for myself, I imagine some of the emotions Mary was feeling as similar to those I am experiencing. Mary, traveling to a new town- Bethlehem; myself, already moved to a new state to start a new life. Mary, although with Joseph, with feelings of loneliness for what she really only understands; myself, dealing with issues that seem overwhelming.

I believe this has made me experience Christmas in a new light. It has made me more aware of the scrutiny that was placed upon Mary, and has made more forever thankful she chose to bear a Son and name him Jesus.

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments: